Wednesday 29 September 2010

Back to work Part 1

I went back to work this afternoon for a half day. It felt good to be able to walk in, no stick, not needing dark glasses to cope with the fluorescent light, not needing to sit in a quiet space to allow me to think.

But the biggest plus was being able to think like a pharmacist again; to able to draw all the different threads of knowledge and experience together and apply them to whatever was in front of me. I didn't realise how much it was an essential part of my psyche and how much I had missed it, until the ability came back.

The nearest and simplest analogy that I can come up with is typing something on a keyboard. You can use one finger to hack and peck or touch type away freely. You  get to the same point eventually, but the latter is much less drawn out and satisfying. Or learning to play the piano. The novice hovers over each key nervously, whilst the expert's hands cause the music to flow seemingly effortlessly.

I have myself back.

No comments:

Post a Comment