Friday 24 September 2010

My take on what is happening

Although the results for me seem nothing short of miraculous, I don't see this treatment as a cure for MS. I still think I have the disease, and it still has it's claws in me. I have intentional tremor in my left hand, and had a bout of trigeminal neuralgia last night (the room air conditioning blew cold air on to my neck in bed, a surefire way to kick off an attack).

But improving the circulation to my brain has done a lot to improve my symptoms, and those of my fellow people with MS here. Time will tell if it halts the progress.

Warming of hands and feet.
Nearly everyone I have spoken to reports this. One of the key biological controls in the body is to maintain the temperature and oxygen supply to the body core, the central nervous system and critical organs. In the same way as blood supply is withdrawn from your extremities on a cold day to conserve heat, pre-surgery it is being withdrawn to try and overcome the lack of oxygen to the brain. Post-surgery the oxygen is normal, so you get blood back to your hands and feet, and your skin doesn't look as grey.

Balance.
Balance improvement seems to be reported most often where people say they had a worse blockage one side or the other. If one side of the brain is relatively oxygen starved to the other, it processes the signals from eyes and ears slower , and you get resulting imbalance. Equalise things and the imbalance is lost.

Overall cogfog, clumsiness and difficulty controlling hands and feet (including walking)
Look what happens when the brain is oxygen starved at altitude - climbers and  pilots not breathing supplemental oxygen. Compare that with MS patients. Look familiar? Now give the brain back its oxygen supply. Lo and behold the symptoms go. Scientific studies have shown reduced oxygen perfusion in MS patients relative to healthy controls.

Fatigue
I went for a walk around Katowice today, and when I got back my body was tired but the 'I have been active' tired, not the overwhelming MS fatigue that hits regardless of what you have been doing.
It will take some time and work  to get my muscles back in shape, but I expect things to improve as they do.
If the blood is not draining from the brain properly, the waste products of metabolism will build up
 regardless of physical activity. Eventually the brain itself has to slow down to clear the backlog. Hence the almost coma-like sleep many of us experience in these circumstances.

Immune involvement
It may well be that the oxygen starvation and toxin build-up result in some cell death in the brain tissue which triggers the immune system and sensitises it to myelin. Other studies indicate iron build up in the cells of the brain, which may trigger the failure of the blood-brain barrier.


So if you can beg steal or borrow the money, or better yet get your medical authorities/insurance to pay for you to get this treatment, I would say go for it. I was patient number 998 in 2010 here, and they have had no major adverse events.

The only way is up.

1 comment:

  1. Sue, I'm glad you're writing your experience of the "Liberation Procedure" in such detail. It is sure to help other MS patients in reaching an informed decision about this.

    ReplyDelete